Let’s face it, staying indoors for months on end can make even the best of us become a little stir-crazy. As many regions push to get back to normal after the lengthy span of the COVID-19 pandemic, road trips have become a popular choice for those seeking a safer adventure than traditional travel options such as airplanes or public transit.
But before you decide who’s in charge of snacks and music, there are a few road trip tips you’ll want to consider. When preparing your car for a road trip, you should ensure that certain things are taken care of before you head out so you, your family, and your car stay safe as you trek across the country.
Things You Can Do to Prepare Your Car for a Road Trip
There are many small services and checks that you can perform right at home or in your driveway. They may be small but can save you a lot of hassle once you are on your way.
- Check your tire pressure and tread. The last thing you want is to blow a tire on the highway. If you have sufficient tire tread, make sure that the pressure levels are set to the manufacturer’s recommendation.
- Check your oil level. Low oil can create problems within your engine as moving parts won’t have the proper lubrication. You can top it off if it’s a little low, but you may need to consider having a technician complete an oil and filter change instead.
- Top off your washer fluid. As the warmer weather comes, so do the bugs. Make sure your washer fluid reservoir is full and carry extra fluid in case you need to top off while on the road.
- Check your lights. Blown bulbs make it difficult for you to see, and more importantly, they make it difficult for others to see you. Check all lights and signals to make sure you’ll remain visible.
Road Trip Preparation That You Should Leave to Your Local Service Technician
While some of the obvious checks can be completed at home, there are a number of services that you’ll want to have a certified technician perform to ensure that your vehicle is in roadworthy condition and all components are working properly.
- Oil change. A certified technician can ensure that your engine oil and oil filter are changed properly and that the right type and correct amount of oil is used. At INFINITI OF DENVER, we also conduct a complementary 27-point inspection with every oil change. This way you know for certain that your car is ready for your road trip.
- Check engine light. If you have error codes that are causing lights to illuminate on your instrument panel, a technician can scan your vehicle’s computer to diagnose the codes and prevent further problems.
- Brake pad replacement. You might have the urge to hit the road without stopping, but you’ll need to physically stop at some point! If your pads are worn, a technician should replace them to provide you with adequate stopping power.
- Scheduled maintenance. Be sure to have your technician complete any maintenance items that are due, or that will become due before you return. This helps you save on future repair costs.
INFINITI OF DENVER Can Get You Ready for the Road
At INFINITI OF DENVER, our team of certified technicians knows just what your vehicle needs to provide safe and reliable transport during your next road trip. We’re committed to providing you with car service for long trip durations to make sure that you get where you’re going without a breakdown. Complete your pre trip car checkup with INFINITI OF DENVER to receive unparalleled service and peace of mind when preparing your car for your upcoming road trip. Drop your car off at the dealership, or we will pick it up from your home! Follow these road trip tips and schedule an appointment online with us today to prepare your car for the open road.